Where is Doris?...

Sunday 14 September 2008

Ria De Muros (3)

Sunday 14th September 2008
Woke up with the best intentions of going ashore to revisit the hardware stores and find a wireless connection to check email and post all the latest and greatest from my adventures. Not only am I losing track of time due to living on UTC (boat time) but also what day of the week it is. Being a Sunday of course all the shops are closed. I walk around and find an open wireless network but it wont let me out to the Internet. I really can’t be bothered to ‘examine things further’ and keep looking. Again bumping into Mark and Amanda of Blush, we find a WIFI zone bar and settle for a drink and some food. Upon ordering I am also handed a WEP key – nice.

Late yesterday evening an American flagged boat arrived in the anchorage and its owner – Willem, joined us. He has sailed from the Chesapeak on the East coast of the US, ‘over the top’ by way of Iceland and then via Scotland and down to Spain via Biscay! A cruiser!

Why did it not surprise me when he announces he is heading for the Caribbean, but first needs to get to Lisbon to pick up his wife! – Another one!

Now having Internet access I can see the weather forecast for the next few days and decide I need to get going tomorrow as some strong Northerly winds are arriving around Tuesday and this is going to start pushing some swell in my direction which I am keen to avoid. For some reason, NavTex is not receiving very well in these Spanish Rias, maybe it’s a ploy to get us to go ashore and spend money in bars?

The plan – Isla Cies, an anchorage about 40nm away tomorrow, then on to Bayona, a further 10nm. Once in Bayona I will make a plan on how I am going to get past Portugal. Bayona should be a good place to get things fixed according to the guide books.

No comments: