Where is Doris?...

Thursday 7 May 2009

How Stupid Do I Feel...

Well the time is now 2000utc (4pm local) and I am back in English Harbour - Yup the place is cursed!

Just had a quick chat with Freya and now its time to let everyone know where I am to save any worries. I set out only to find the seas in a horrible state with the wind at 25kn and steep waves to over 4m and completely all over the place like it was boiling. Probably due to the shallow nature of the Antigua / Barbuda coastline.

The boat handled it ok, although I took a few on the beam that laid me almost flat when I misjudged the helming. I decided to turn back after about 2hrs, realising that I would have to manually helm through the waves probably for the next 48hrs and that would just about kill me!

So... Patience is a virtue!
I hate turning back but sometimes its the best option... its a shame because the boat was making a NE course with the wind from the East - perfect!

As I mentioned before the seas and winds are due to drop over the weekend and I can only hope the Azores high doesnt go running off too far. I decided to come back the extra 10nm to English Harbour as I will at least have some company and Internet access.

Thanks you guys for the kind words via comments and SMS messages. I'll probably look to set off straight from here either Sunday or Monday.

2 comments:

Crutey said...

It sounds like the island in lost! You can try and sail away but always end back where you started. Time to turn local if you ask me man ;-)

Joking aside, glad you took the cautious choice!

Kat said...

i won't mind if you finally escape it and you look like Sawyer... ;b

(mind the polar bears though...)