Where is Doris?...

Wednesday 13 May 2009

North Atlantic 1

Sunday 10th May 2009

I woke up around 0730am local time only to find Ben sitting in Otahi's cockpit reading. He shouted 'Good morning!' ensuring Freya and Medi were now also awake. Minutes later James jumped into the water from Veracity and swam over for tea. Freya had also joined us before the kettle had even boiled - so much for sneaking off quietly!

We arranged to have breakfast on Otahi with Frey producing the goods one last time in the form of scrambled eggs with cheese on toast followed by tea and more jam toast - perfect. Good ol auntie Frey also sent me on my way with a tin of home made fruit & nut cookies. It seems cookies are becoming a tradition each time I set off across an ocean. Frey - you are the best!

We all (Ben, Freya, Medi, James and I) chatted for a while before I decided it was time for me to get going. James and I lifted the anchor at 1000am (1400 utc) with James helming before jumping over the side after a quick goodbye and good luck. His departing words . 'I'll be watching!' . no pressure!

Minutes later there I was was trying to free the mainsail batten from the lazy jacks (again) - typical! Soon after saw the ol faithful 2nd reef and reefed jib taking me safely out to sea away from land. I tacked my way up the Antiguan coast following the same route to Green Island as I had done a few days previous. With the wind freeing I Shook out a reef and headed offshore with a rough course of 30 degrees magnetic (best to windward) on a starboard tack in 10-15 kn of wind.

Doris pretty much sailed herself for the remainder of the day I put in the 2nd reef back in just before dark. At midnight (2400 utc) the full moon appeared to brighten things up and keep me company. I plotted my first real position N17 29.47 W61 32.36 with 48nm covered in the first 10 hours.

Through the night the seas got bigger until I was plodding along at 4kn trying to reduce the slamming. I heard a few other boats that were also heading for the Azores over the radio and also saw two large ships. I hope the route isn't going to be busy making sleep difficult.

I slept in short intervals throughout the night but felt extremely tired in the morning. The boat is uncomfortable due to beating into the short lumpy seas and waves come over the cockpit soaking everything every few minutes. 3 weeks of this - Jeez!


Monday 11th May 2009

I plotted my position (1200utc) N18 19.49 W61 21.53 with exactly 100nm covered in 22 hours, not so bad considering the sea state. I made jam toast for breakfast while holding on for dear life.

Not much to report except that its clear that I am basically heading almost North and any hope of staying close to the 'Great Circle' is impossible due to both the wind direction and sea state. I did start reading 'The Life of PI', not sure about the wisdom of this - a book about a boy marooned in a life raft in the Pacific with a tiger. I am not sure what my sleep deprived brain will make of it.

I sailed with the 3rd reef for most of the day as the slamming was unbearable. I cooked pasta with tuna in the late afternoon with plenty left over. While the ride was a lot more comfortable, I was not going anywhere fast and decided to shake out a reef. This decision was met almost minutes later by my first real squall with winds over 30kn - typical!

Due to a large portion of the route being close hauled on a starboard tack, I decided to move as much weight (including myself) into the starboard rear cabin. With the boat slamming, the forepeak is a 'no go' area and it actually gets worse when I'm in there. I moved all the fenders and surfboards (light stuff) forward and made a space for me to sleep among the tinned foods and sails in the back cabin. The effort seems to have helped the motion of the boat.

The 3rd reef went back in just before dark as I could see squalls all around giving an indication of what to expect through the night. I did manage to get a little more sleep through the night, mainly because the cockpit is miserable with everything soaked through even the companionway steps are damp. I already despise the egg timer and the thought of another 3 weeks of these conditions makes me cringe.

I saw three ships just before it got light (0900 utc) so I still need to keep a good look out as I am only 200nm offshore.


Tuesday 12th May 2009

As it got light I saw a sailing boat about 4nm on my portside. I couldn't help but immediately shake out the 3rd reef to keep up with my new neighbour. It soon became apparent that he was not pointing as high to windward as me as we became further apart. The boat turned out to be a French guy also bound for the Azores, he also complained about the lack of easting due to the Atlantic swell. His lack of English and my lack of French ensured the conversation was short before he vanished over the horizon.

Maybe I'll meet him in the Azores?

Yesterdays pasta was livened up with some cheese and mayonnaise for breakfast before I retreated out of the sun below. During the day the boat is like an oven as it's impossible to open any windows because of the constant waves over the decks. In the cockpit the sun beats down and I have to constantly wash my face and eyes with fresh water because of salt from the deck spray - 3 weeks!

I spent most of the day down below out of the sun reading. In contrast the nights are cold and very wet not just from waves but also damp. The bed clothes already have that sticky feel to them and moisture appears on the boat walls around the companionway steps.
Since this morning I have noticed an increasing large amount of weed floating in the water. Maybe its from the Sargasso sea? My position at 1200 utc was N19 56.91 W61 06.63 with 101nm covered in the last 24 hours.

Later in the day the wind veered allowing me to get some easting (40-50 degrees) with 2 reefs in 18-22 kn of wind. Not much else to report except that I maintained direction and sail. James sent me an SMS message later that night announcing a new depression forming and if I can get to the East of it 'I'm on to a winner', if not - its head winds all the way. I'll check the gribs tomorrow.

No comments: