Where is Doris?...

Thursday 7 May 2009

Setting Off Alone

Freya called me from English Harbour to announce that she didn't feel ready to undertake such a crossing and has asked James to come with her back across the Atlantic. I am not sure at this time whether he will agree or not, being that he has a really good job here in the Caribbean and also a boat he is very interested in buying. If they do cross together it will not be for a week or so at least. Whatever happens guys good luck with everything.


Ben & Medi, It was really nice to meet you guys and who knows we may meet up in the Azores if you find another boat to cross with?


Well the wind has been blowing 20-25kn for the last few days and the seas are said to be pretty steep at 3m. While both wind and seas are due to go down around Saturday, I don't really want to wait around any longer and have decided to make a move and go for it straight from Green Island. It's now 0800am local time (1200utc) and I will be getting the boat ready and looking
to set sail around midday. It's going to be pretty uncomfortable for the first few days at least but things should ease once a few hundred miles north - I hope.


The strategy - Starboard tack as close to the wind as I can get (about NE) to get as much easting as possible and then punch through the variables to hopefully slingshot around the lower left of the Azores high to find the westerly winds above it - assuming its still there!


I'll post updates approx every 3 days or so. Wish me luck!

No comments: