Where is Doris?...

Thursday 25 December 2008

Cape Verdes 6 - Christmas Day

I woke up to the sound of the Sat phone as someone was trying to call. Unfortunately, it wouldn’t connect and I have no idea of who this was?

Anyway, after a wash, cup of coffee and the obligatory dose of Internet it was up on deck to have a go at the rigging. I have done a little reading on this and I know that a fractional rig with multiple swept back spreaders are a pain in the ass to tune and get right. In the end I put two turns on the cap shrouds and one turn on the lowers, leaving the intermediates alone. Does this sound about right for a rig that’s never been tightened from new? It feels a lot better, but all I can do is hope that the mast continues to stay upright I guess.

If (when) I ever buy another boat it will be a cutter rig with (preferably) a single set of straight spreaders, my rig is probably the worst possible configuration for cruising, especially down wind sailing due to the swept back spreaders.

As I was tightening the rigging, I noticed the mainsail head repair done way back in Muros, Spain had worn through and was close to breaking. Time to get out the sail makers palm and thread and make a new repair that will hopefully hold until across the Atlantic. Lucky I noticed this or I would have been sitting on the boom out at sea trying to sow a repair!

While I was busy working Sym & Amy (anchored a few yards to my right) were enjoying a Champagne breakfast followed by a Christmas dip in the fine waters of Mindelo Port.

With jobs now complete, I went below decks to call my parents on the Sat phone for a quick Merry Xmas before plotting my route across the pond.

I have decided to make landfall in St. Lucia and go to Rodney Bay, the same place as the ARC finishes. This decision is due to both the fees and complications involved with checking into Barbados, not to mention the lack of anchorages.

Then it was over to Quartermoon for Christmas dinner.

What can I say, Amy & Sym live like royalty when it comes to cuisine! Stuffed roast chickens, with bacon, piggies in blankets, potatoes, onions, carrots, cabbage, with gravy washed down with wine and Champagne followed by home cooked lemon cheesecake.

Over dinner, we decided that it was not wise to leave on Boxing Day due to it being a Friday and therefore bad luck (Daniel of Luna, you are to blame for this maritime superstition!). So some time after Saturday it is…

After dinner, barely able to breath, I helped Amy with her blog and showed Sym some guitar stuff before we let off some celebratory ‘fireworks’ (ahem – nuff said!).

Thanks for the hospitality guys, and making the day Christmas - you two are the best!

My Xmas pressie from Quartermoon, they know me so well!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeesus dude! NO SPROUTS????

Glad u had a nice Xmas day, I had visions of you having one of you moment's of clarity talking to Dolphins half way across the Atlantic.

Be safe, stay in touch!

Simon (Boo). said...

I am sure I will have a few 'moments' along the way. I'll keep you posted this time with regular updates - I promise!

Anonymous said...

hey crute - i know he's changing his diet and eating more than tomoato soup with bernard matthews ham but sprouts would have been pushing it wouldn't it?!?!

trying to get hold of a copy of Big Blue so I can understand what he's saying when he arrives in Caribbean with a dolphin (or 5) he's fallen in love with along the way...

:)