Where is Doris?...

Wednesday 24 December 2008

Cape Verdes 5 – Change of Plans

We (Quartermoon & I) have decided to wait a little longer before setting off across the pond. Mainly due to the fact we (I) have a lot of smaller jobs that need doing and Amy really wants to celebrate Christmas properly. In addition, the Atlantic pressure map looks a little freaky, with massive high pressure over the UK and N. Europe and no Azores high to speak of and the fact it’s constantly changing meaning we would be heading into potentially dodgy weather. Therefore, we will sit tight until Boxing Day at least, make sure we are properly ready and have a better idea of the weather. Also, I may decide to go to St. Lucia now due to the lack of anchorages in Barbados, I'll keep you posted.

My ‘ToDo’ list so far:
Clean & Pack away dinghy and stow below – Done.
Lift floor boards and sponge bilges dry – Done.
Last minute food shopping – Done (as best as I can).
Top up water – Done.
Remove Jib and bend on Genoa – Done.
Make the galley cupboards useable at sea – Done (Nice one Sym!)
‘Obtain’ Pilot guide to Caribbean – Done (the magic of photocopiers!)
Extra Gaz - Done (Gaz is really cheap here).
Tighten Rigging – Christmas morning (I ran out of daylight today).

Many thanks to Sym, who is a master with a set of hand tools, the galley now will not spill bowls, plates, cups and glasses all over the floor when the boat is at sea. This will make such a difference to my quality of living while sailing and something Hanse should have thought of in the first place.

If any other cruisers (reading this) need work done at sensible rates, do not hesitate to give Sym (Quartermoon) a call if you find yourself in the same area. Sym has practically rebuilt Quartermoon (an Oyster 41) so evidence of his expertise in boat building is easily available.

Quatermoon now has their very own blog site and their progress and adventures can be followed, URL’s in the list to the right.

So … The Cape Verdes?
Well, it’s an interesting place! It seems that the people are either very wealthy (expensive cars etc) or extremely poor (street beggars and sharks). Everything is really expensive, for example a tube of toothpaste cost me about 3 quid and chocolate (Mars, Twix, etc) are kept behind glass to prevent theft they are so expensive!



The beggars ask you to buy them milk powder for their babies (that you never see) for some reason. We think it’s either to cut coke (or something) or to resell it back to the supermarkets. Or, they really do use it? Either way, its weird! I'm sure there's a scam going on somewhere.

I have purchased some extras that will ‘keep me going’ but I don’t have as many goodies as I’d like for such a long trip, especially as my diet is based around chocolate!

Anyway, enough for now, its Christmas eve so Merry Christmas to everyone I know friends, family and cruisers alike. Think of me tomorrow morning when you are unwrapping your pressies, I'll be on deck tightening my rigging!
Have a good one!
Boo & Doris.

4 comments:

Simon (Boo). said...

News flash update: Just heard from Lindsey via the Sat phone and she is safe and sound back home in Blighty.

Talk soon Lindz X.

Anonymous said...

merry christmas Simon. quite cold but sunny here, kids running around like maniacs :) enjoy every bit of the land while you are there, good luck for tomorrow
francois and Co

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas from the german dude... Sorry that I can't post you a tree... Always good to know that Adriano Celentano is still up and going :-)


Kind Regards
Matti

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas you crazy pirate