Where is Doris?...

Friday 26 December 2008

Atlantic Thoughts

So how do I feel about Single Handing Doris 2000nm across the pond? Well, my biggest worry is being able to maintain a decent speed to complete the crossing before I die of old age. At 100nm per day (that’s what I usually work on for longer trips) this means 20 days, almost three weeks! Most people are talking about doing it in two weeks?!?! That’s an average speed of 6kn.

Also, it’s really hard to sleep well when the boat is going fast and if I don’t sleep there is a risk I will go all Crowhurst!

The ships log now reads 3560nm (although it does under read) since owning Doris from new, so the 2091nm to St. Lucia will be the same as almost 2/3 of the total sailing I have ever done in my life! However, in my favour, as long as I don’t get run down by shipping at least there is no land to hit! (Unless I’m really lost!).

Biggest worries:
Sail repair not holding and causing more damage to the sail.
Rig incorrectly tuned and the mast falling down.
Water pipe bursting (again) and losing most of my fresh water.
Storms (not squalls – I’m pretty used to them) and big seas.
Things generally breaking on the boat.

Lastly, there is the current weather situation. At the moment, the Atlantic pressure maps have gone mental with all kinds of weirdness. If we leave in the next few days we potentially face large (4-5m) southbound (on our beam) waves generated by a storm in the north, accompanied by light winds (5kn) and heavy rain.


Surely a combination guaranteed to have us spewing our guts up!
On the other hand, this northern system is so big (winds to 50kn+) that it could take ages to pass through and we don’t want to sit here at anchor using precious food and water.


I have downloaded a selection of guitar music and songs to learn along the way providing its not to swelly:
Mr Bojangles – Nitty Gritty Band
Sing – Travis
Under the Bridge & Californication – Chilli Peppers

I also have a few books to get through (thanks Crutey & Lindz):
Ice Bird – David Lewis, The Long Way & Cape Horn - The Logical Route both by my hero Bernard Moitessier

It’s now, 19:00pm and I have been looking at the weather sites and decided to leave tomorrow morning. The swell shouldn’t be too bad until about Tuesday

C ya on the other side…

No comments: