Where is Doris?...

Monday 13 October 2008

Sines (2)

First on the agenda was to get ‘checked in’, shaved and showered as I had started to resemble Tom Hanks in Castaway. After which we (Dave,Bruce and I) decided to walk into town to get some breakfast and supplies. Finding a small bar we had a bite to eat and found a supermarket. Back at the boat we had a cup of tea with Bruce on Ejay. Dave then had the idea of going snorkelling.


I wasn’t convinced especially just having had a shower and knowing how cold the water was in Cascais.

After about half an hour Dave returned announcing how I had to see the fish etc. Sucker’d again, the water felt cold in my shortie (1mm/2mm) wetsuit but as long as you kept swimming it was bearable.



Niels joined us in our madness to christen his new wetsuit. I also managed to take a few pics underwater with the camera bought by my work colleagues at Verizon. It was possible to get within feet of some rather large fish and this led to Dave and I visiting the local dive shop where I purchased a spear-gun!

Before I got chance to try it out in the marina the GNR police caught me and told me it was a ‘no no’ to use it within the confines of the marina or from the boat unless I was out in open waters.

Dave and I spent the evening pursuing our favourite pastime of barbequing sausages and shish-kebabs over by the beach. Not much else to report, the weather is not looking good for a few days and I can’t find any internet access anywhere. I have also been getting toothache which means I am going to have to find a dentist, preferably who speaks a few words of English! The flies are still driving me insane!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Booo!
Hope all is well and enjoying Porto Santo by now. Nevermind dentist who speaks English. He'll have all his tools in your mouth and that'll kill the conversation. On the subject of killing... Try Intermarch supermarket for fly paper. Annina found some in Sines, we hang one on the saloon ceiling and the flys literally love it to death!!

Hope to see you over a cold one in Canaries!

Lauri and Annina
Sy Aliisa
Cairns

Simon (Boo). said...

Hey Lauri and Annina..
Thanks for posting. I took 2 flies across with me and alas only one made it.

I'm definately there for that cold one in the Canaries. Post me a little 'hello' update on here from time to time so I (we) can track your progress etc.

Theres something wrong with the phrase 'his tools in your mouth' - I hate dentists enough as it is!