Where is Doris?...

Monday 20 July 2009

Azores - UK (3)

Wednesday (PM) 15th July 2009
We continued to be becalmed throughout the day with the ocean looking more like a lake. I commented on the fact that you would expect to see more wildlife given the mirror like conditions before heading off to the toilet.

Sitting there enjoying the calm motion and finishing 'A Voyage for Madmen', a high pitched shrieking is coming from the cockpit. Yup, it's Kat freaking out! She's seen a whale and is convinced we are about to be rammed and sunk before I have a chance to even get my trousers up. Once I get up on deck it doesn't surprise me to find out it was 'on the horizon'. We continue on, while I continue to snooze below.

At 2030utc I am woken up to the high pitched shrieking again except this time it's not Kat, it's the AIS! I look up on deck to find a massive tanker about 2nm off our port beam running parallel and Kat grinning because she thinks she's seen more whales. Sure enough a pod of what look to be around six whales swim between us and the tanker. A quick look at the Crutey Atlantic Ocean wildlife book, with me shouting to Kat with the binoculars 'what colour are their lips', implies either Melon Head or Pilot whales. I'm going with Melon Head coz they sound cool.

Kat's phobias are semi submerged ship containers (check - had one of those), whales (check - had some of those) and sharks (gulp!).

Finally the wind started to fill in and we got full sail up to make 5kn in the right direction pinched up tight. Just in case the calms returned we took the opportunity to top up the diesel tank from the spare cans.

The winds continued to build along with the seas and before long we were racing along with 2 reefs in and a scrap of jib. We had a light dinner of Pate on toasted Pitas just as it got dark.

Kat turned to me with a puzzled look and said 'what's that noise?' If you listened carefully you could hear sonar and 'chatter' of either Dolphins or small whales. Up on deck you could see the 'Casper' like luminous trails as they torpedoed alongside us. Although she's seen plenty of dolphins this was the first time she'd heard them through the hull so was entranced with the experience.

I cooked Chilli Con Carne around midnight before the nightshift began.


Thursday 16th July 2009
Not too much to share with you guys about the first part of the day as Kat and I were in 'heated discussions'.

Noon position N46 47.61 W13 20.04 with 112nm covered.

In the evening I was below deck and Kat had just scanned the horizon and making her way back down the stairs she commented how the sky looked 'painted'. Literally as the words left her lips I heard the familiar crescendo of a squall. The boat started to accelerate as I pushed past Kat just managing to get to the gybe preventer line in time. I rounded Doris up and hove to, losing the jib and sheeting in the mainsail as the wind gauge read 38kn. She would have naturally rounded up, but with a tightly prevented boom we might have suffered some damage such as a bent boom or worse. Close one!

After the squall the seas continued to build in stark contrast to the lake we had enjoyed twenty four hours earlier. With the possibility of more squalls and worsening conditions we took down the mainsail and continued on jib alone.

Kat made some hotdog pasta for dinner as it got dark.

Friday 17th July 2009
Despite the sea being 'rough', Kat managed to spend the day reading in the cockpit wearing a cap to protect her already 'microwaved' nose. I spent most of the time below catching up on sleep and being frustrated that the seas were preventing us from making any north progress. I just managed to keep Doris slightly north of east with the waves slightly in front of the beam.

With more bad weather and likely big seas being forecast it was starting to look like we may have to 'run' east into Brest.

We finished the hotdog pasta for lunch and had another washing up session.
Our noon position was N47 23.67 W11 44.43 with only 83nm covered.

That evening we (I - Kat fell asleep) watched the 'Longitude' documentary about the Harrison clocks - gripping stuff!

The AIS has finally seen a ship before us and earned its keep. I went up to check the horizon and returned with an 'all clear verdict' just as it was getting dark. About ten minutes later the alarm sounded and we were surprised to see a huge cargo ship about 3nm away, it must have not had its 'nav' lights on - that's my excuse!

Kat has her own theory - Vampire Boats! We never see many (if any) boats in daylight, however, as soon as its dark they appear less than a few miles away, almost as regular as clockwork.

I stayed awake for most of the night calling Kat from her 'cozy pit' just before it got light around 0400utc with a cup of hot chocolate.


Saturday 18th July 2009

I cooked us some porridge for breakfast and Kat followed that up a little later with cheese and chorizo toasties for brunch. I downloaded some fresh grib files and have conflicting forecasts. The grib files suggest that the weather should be easing, but the NavTex is warning that our f6 winds will increase to f7 and possibly Gale force 8 with associated 'very rough' sea conditions.

Strategy; I decide to stay north of our rhumb line in case we have to run with the seas we can still make the English Channel entrance. Our noon position was N48 15.45 W09 47.69 with 104nm covered.

I slept throughout the day and read 'Longitude' by Dava Sobel, an easy but very interesting read about the birth of modern navigation. Kat finished reading 'The Game' (and now has a cynical outlook of all mankind!).

Just after midnight we sighted our first fishing boat, a trawler about 3nm off, an indication we are getting closer to 'home waters'. Kat headed off to bed slightly later than usual due to the 'excitement' of the trawler and I stood watch until calling her at 0500utc with no other ships sighted.

Sunday 19th July 2009
We had a breakfast of scrambled eggs cooked by Kat at 0600utc, which I followed up with cereal around 1100utc and then at 1430utc Kat got hungry again and we got stuck in to Potato Gratin with corned beef. In short we spent Sunday eating and plodding along under headsail in the dying swell.

Our noon position was N49 19.79 W07 47.26 with 107nm covered.

I spent the day as always snoozing and having an afternoon 'rave' in the cockpit listening to AeroSmith, while Kat either slept or read. At 2300utc I cooked a Mediterranean rice style dish in an attempt to use most of our fresh produce, which we ate before beginning the nightshift.


Monday 20th July 2009

By midnight the wind had dropped to less than 10kn and the headsail started to flap and gybe, driving us both mad. Kat kept watch until 0230utc, with me taking over until 0700utc. I tried everything I could think of to keep Doris moving until 0500utc when I conceded defeat and turned on the engine.

Just our luck that with our last day to go at sea and a forecast of f5 to f6 winds we are becalmed. Especially as the majority of the trip has been in
25kn+ winds and rough seas, typical!

Our noon position was N49 44.25 W05 37.81 around 20nm south of Land's End as we crossed the shipping channels. Our 24 hour mileage run was 101nm. We had a close call when we caught a huge clump of seaweed on the prop followed by a carrier bag, both of which cleared without me having to get a wetsuit on.
Thank God as its freezing!


The time is now 1300utc and the wind has started to fill in giving us full sail and around 5kn of boat speed. We might just make it into Falmouth, around 40nm to go before it gets dark. Kat wants a pub with a warm fire and a pint of Cider, not to mention a hot shower.


Reunion / Birthday Get-Together
Francois has mentioned a BBQ at his home in Brighton for us all to get together again. Hopefully we can do the weekend of August 1st as it's my Birthday! Also, it will be exactly a year since we all had my farewell party - where you all thought you would never see me alive again! If not, the weekend of 25th July is a back up.

I have yet to confirm anything solid with Francois, but in the event that he is not available on either of these weekends then another venue can be suggested.

It would be great to see you all again and catch up with what I have missed over the last year. I know some of you are now married and others have new family members etc.

This will be a short visit as I need to get back out and protect Katla (the new boat) from hurricanes in the Caribbean and will be looking to fly out early August.

I will have mobile phone coverage by Tuesday morning.

5 comments:

Francois said...

BBQ is still on. the WE of the 1st of August would be good for us as well. i'll call you later to sort out the details.
Francois

maureen said...

Welcome back Boo & Kat, enjoyed your blog and hope you have fair winds for Katlan, what are your plans for her?
All the best, Maureen('Lady First')

tom said...

welcome back dude!

a meet up is well over due - missed your last one as I was in Vegas... and you won't believe it but I'll be in Vegas again on 1st August.

will hafta give the compton and gr0mster a shout, bet he is reading this anyway. davey is up for some goodness as is francois and co.

speaky to ya soon!

Matti said...

Hey Simon,

It was really nice to see and speak to you again! Enjoyed it very much and the food and weather was perfect (thanks Francois). Well, all my best for the future events. Hope all goes well in the "I have to save Katla from hurricanes" activities. Keep posting...

Kind Regards
Matti


PS: Oh, before I forget it I will try to find that girl on the 1st of August...

PPS: I did not have bad dreams about buckets

PPPS: I did not even mention the leaky bucket algorithm yesterday, maybe worth reading up on it again :-)

Yacht Charter in Dubai said...

All great information can be helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating the blog, looking forward for more content.