Where is Doris?...

Saturday 21 March 2009

English Harbour, Antigua

Not much to report....
I am still in English Harbour and there are Dolphins and Turtles regularly swimming around the boat. Its getting hotter by the day and the Mozzies are eating me alive!

I have been doing small odd jobs around the boat such as splicing and getting the stainless looking 'happy' again. I really need to get her Hauled Out and AntiFouled but costs here in Antigua are astronimical ~ $1000US. We (James, Marcus and I) discussed the possibilities of Careening (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Careening) her until I get back to the UK.
Not sure if I am pushing the boundaries of being a Sea Pikey too far on this one... !?!?

Likewise, the costs of water is listed here as $0.50USD / Gal. I carry 360 litres, which at ~4lt / Gal - means its gonna cost me not far short of £50 quid! - The search for an unguarded tap is on!

I have also decided that providing I can find a Sextant for a decent price, I want to try and use only Astro (Sun, Planets & Stars) Navigation for the sail back to the UK (or at least the Azores). I also need to photocopy a suitable passage planning chart(s) from someone as I refuse to pay ~£40 for a single paper chart!

Thank God there is a FREE WIFI connection here, I am going to be 'resident' for a while so expect a lot more posts...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the careening page - 'Maintenance might include repairing damage caused by dry rot or cannon shot' WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN UP TO?

Gotta be worth finding a cheaper way of doing it properly rather than risk damaging her!!

You know my feelings on the sextant thing ;-)

Simon (Boo). said...

We wont have to beach her, (this would be hard anyway because there hardly any tide here) just yank her over onto her beam ends via ropes on the mast or main halyard while she is anchored in deeper water. I'll probz just end up diving underneath and scrubbing her by hand - oh the joy!

Anonymous said...

I can see it now... a pipe attached to your snorkle, taped to a fender floating above you and you armed with a mail brush.

The other plan sounds like a recipe for a bent mast.

Anonymous said...

we can see your updating this blog a lot more now you have not got a doris on board!! p.s. hope windows have not fallen out..... yet!!!
Sym and Amy

Simon (Boo). said...

Hey guys .. Yup English Harbour resident with a (semi) decent WIFI connection and time on my hands.
Windows are perfect - good job!

Anonymous said...

you sure it's just 'time' on your hands now there's no doris onboard!!!

:b

Simon (Boo). said...

You Madam are a Wrong'n!