Where is Doris?...

Tuesday 24 March 2009

Doris 4 Sale

Yup it’s true I am selling Doris! Despite being an amazing boat both in terms of looks and sailing ability, I have decided that while she is everything I ever wanted in a boat she does not reflect the person I have become.

Her sleek racy lines and sophisticated hull colours are a reflection (I like to think) of who I used to be in a previous life. She no longer represents the scruffy looking ‘Sea Pikey’ that is constantly in search of unguarded water taps and does his washing up off the back of the boat in sea water. It's not right that other people stare at me as I approach Doris in the anchorage as if I am about to steal her - How can 'he' look like that and own that boat?!?!

It really does break my heart to think about saying ‘gbye’ to her after all this time, so many miles and all the times she literally took care of me at sea (she got a complete novice with no previous sailing experience across Biscay, Europe and the Atlantic single handed after all). However, as of today she is on the market and looking for a loving new owner.

So what boat should I be sailing these days? Well I have fallen in love with old boats and despite no previous experience (nothing new there), I find myself drawn to Gaff rigs. Therefore, at this point in time I am looking for a old Gaff Cutter in Steel.

Anyway, despite her full history, lots of information and pictures all posted here, if anyone is interested in buying Doris and wants a full inventory or equipment specs just drop me a line via email.

It’s a sad day….

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

*gasp* shocked!

When you back home?! Exclude those van froggen surf boards from the sail!

Tom

Anonymous said...

sale even, ironic that I typed sail eh? :p

Simon (Boo). said...

Dont worry dude! - The surfboards are not 4 Sale. You, Gr0m, the Charlton & I will have to pay Devon a visit when I'm home!...

Hows Trix?...

Anonymous said...

Am I not invited? OK so techncially I'll be a grom all over but I proved in the Canaries I can still fit in my Wetty!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hysterical that you've carried them all over the place on Doris (getting in the way IIRC) and you will be getting them wet for the 1st time back in Devon!!! ;-)

Simon (Boo). said...

Crutey you are always invited you just never have any time! Its a date - no excuses!

There is a small reef just behind me in the anchorage and its just too small to ride, however, word has it everynow and again it works. Watch this space!

Anonymous said...

Hey Boo... I remember when you were buying Doris and we had this conversation about buying a second hand one, but you insisted on a shiny new BLINGing one! Congrats.. you've left that shit behind. Now you're as pikey as I. Don't suppose ya need a second hand BMW do ya? ;)


guy

Simon (Boo). said...

Guy me Ol Mucker!... Hows life after VBZ? Yup agreed *hindsight* and all that jazz. Talking of jazz, this subject is very much like old guitars, in that nobody buys a vintage guitar when they first learn to play.

DORIS is exactly what I wanted at that time - A fast bling modern boat that I didnt have to worry about - it was enough learning to sail without worrying if the boat was 'ringer'!

Now I want an old style boat almost as a new challenge (fad). It will be harder to sail and I will have to learn about maintainance etc to keep it running (a bit like yer old BMW).
But it will still be shiny and I am sure I'll end up pimping it up to a degree.

Anywayz, drop me a line with whats new ... Hows Alex & Tanya these days?