Where is Doris?...

Wednesday 10 September 2008

Ria De Camarinas (3)

Wednesday 10th September 2008
I wake fully refreshed and make a cuppa. I can see ‘helpful matey’ Harry and his other German friend making ready to set off. Harry agrees to radio me regarding what the wind and swell are doing outside of the protection of the Ria. I wish him well as he passes me on his way. Wind F1-2 with 1.5m swell – not ideal!

With the anchorage looking now a bit empty I seem to stick out like a sore thumb all alone right in the centre of the anchorage. Through the binos I can see the outer hammerhead pontoon is now empty. The guidebook says its 4m of depth so no worries there, no wind whatsoever to make things tricky – let’s do this!

I set up the lines and fenders ready for a starboard side mooring, then I started the engine to get the anchor up (windlass – I’m posh). My anchor also bought up some old rope so I was lucky to not get fouled, although it wouldn’t have surprised me!

I ambled over to the pontoon and was just about to go ashore with the lines myself when an English speaking smiling face appears and offers to grab my guardrails as I pass him a line. All tied up no problem.

Senior quickly arrives announcing that I can’t stay here, so we explain that I simply want some fuel and will then get going. It turns out that fuel is available via pump - if I get closer. The English guy (aka Colin) offers to take my lines again as I move to a closer berth dictated by senior. Off we go again. Now, about that fuel – nope the pipe is not long enough – Jeez! Can I turn it around? Just give me a can of fuel!

I pay for two cans full and will come back for the second. With 40 litres now onboard the fuel gauge is saying full, well at least I now know that each bar must be ~22 litres, meaning that I must have had about 60 litres still in the tank. See I knew the problem would go away on its own!

Once all fuelled up I make a few last minute preparations including the rechecking the weather. Later S / SW F6 will be right on the nose and not very enjoyable. While I have been doing things around the boat another English couple (Mark & Amanda on Blush) have invited me to a coffee to discuss tactics and the weather. Sod it – I’ll stay here for a night, its only 14 euros anyway. I didn’t need much convincing and seeing that I’m moored up already it makes sense to stay put. I really should go back out to anchor to save money but I need to sort out the light.

First things first, everything electrical – laptop, toothbrush, razor, etc gets charged up. If I’m paying for a marina it’s getting juiced!

Secondly, I am going to annoy Senior again and get another can of fuel to keep onboard as a back up – it makes sense to have extra in reserve if I am going to be anchoring more often.

Then it’s off to the bar to try and suss out if there is any Internet access. A ‘cafe con leche’ later I am up to date with my own blog – thanks Crutey for posting on my behalf. I will upload pictures etc later as it’s not viable via Sat phone and I can’t get any of the wireless networks to let me have Internet access.

After restocking ‘nice sugary things’ at the supermarcado, I attack the lower shrouds. Yes I know that I have been told they are fine, but they were as loose as – well a loose thing in those 30kn winds the other day. One turn on each side and I promise not to touch the caps or intermediates! They certainly ‘feel’ better now.

Ok, the anchor light. While waiting for Colin to come over to ‘wind me up’, I decide to recheck the switches – it working! Great I won’t have to sweat my fat ass up the mast now. When Colin arrives I announce the good news and show him. Guess what – its not working. The wind is picking up and it’s starting to rain. Mannana mannana I guess.

I have noticed that the people are very friendly here, I have had offers of 3 bosons chairs, an ascender and plenty of ‘winders’ to help me fix the light in one afternoon.
*Kat - if you do make it to the Southampton boat show have a look for those ‘ladders’ you hoist up on the main halyard, its either that or have steps installed up the mast.

The weather is not looking good for tomorrow (thurs), but very promising for Friday onwards so I will probably stay put and get that dinghy out not to mention sorting out the anchor light. Also being asked if I was ‘on delivery’ probably means I should maximise on the marina shower facilities and have a shave.
One things for sure, I won’t be bored!

No comments: