Where is Doris?...

Monday 6 July 2009

Horta Azores (4)

My last post (hopefully) from Horta - I've been here way too long!

Kat has now arrived after a stressful departure. Her outbound London to Lisbon flight was delayed and she missed her connection to Horta. So after a night in a hotel, she finally arrived Saturday morning. We immediately set about rigging up the AIS and new replacement handheld GPS, intending to leave Sunday morning, however the weather wasn’t ideal and there were a few things I still needed from the chandlery to make the AIS aerial connection on Monday morning.

We did a final supplies shop Sunday afternoon and joined Freya and Paula (our new found friend) on Grateful Red for a delicious meal of Spag Bol and Mohitos in the evening. It’s now Monday evening and the water tanks have been refilled, the AIS is working and we have checked out of the marina (Ouch, the bill hurt!) , so tomorrow is D-Day!

AIS + GPS mounted on a piece of Ply - Heath Robinson would be proud!

Despite the weather forecast for the first part of the trip not being ideal, we should be in Falmouth in the next two weeks. I will try and post updates every few days, you all know the drill by now.

This is my first ever passage (of real consequence) with Kat so wish us luck!

3 comments:

Lauri & Annina said...

Hey Dudes!
Good luck for the passage. I sincerely hope that one missed flight and one night in a hotel will be the biggest drama in Kat's Atlantic crossings.

Whatever happens, you'll get to the "other side"....

Seriously, with a skipper as careful as you Simon, S/y Doris and crew will be sweet. And that's a good way to be. CATCH YA!

(We're leaving tuesday too, into the thunderstorms of wet-season-Kuna Yala..)

Paula J. Sheil said...

Wow! Miss you already. Hope you had fair weather and a dandy first day. Look forward to all posts. Please keep in touch and check out my blog...www.gratefulcook.blogspot.com

Frey and I went shopping together today. She also chopped potatoes and onions for me. Wed. is MAYBE my last day cooking. Two of my crew came tonight...Jason and Bryce, cousins from Wisconsin. Jason is a resident prosthetist, which means he can make me a hook if I lose a leg. Bryce is a US Coastguard 100-ton Master; my credentials...well, I can handle a propane burner. See you guys again for sure!!!

Bigoceans.com said...

Simon, have you by any chance run into my friend Stephane in Horta - He is on a Contessa 26 named Joshua. Boat is Canadian registered - Say hello! Maybe you have left already...