Where is Doris?...

Sunday 8 February 2009

Union Island, Grenadines

We planned to leave the Tobago Cays around 9am local time and preparations went according to plan until we heard ‘Doris!’ shouted in a Swedish accent. It was Daniel of Luna who had been traveling north from Union island, our next intended destination. He dropped anchor and swung alongside for a ‘quick’ chat that ended up taking over an hour. We arranged to meet him in Bequia in the next few days and finally got underway.

A short uneventful sail (headsail only) that took us around Palm island and then finally into the Union island anchorage of Clifton. The anchorage was very busy and space limited due to the ‘roundabout’ shape of the reef but we managed to find a central spot and dropped anchor in about 10m depth. From the outset, my ‘spider senses’ were tingling and I didn’t like the feel of the place.
While cooling off and having some lunch we heard a commotion outside and found a 40ft+ yacht charging around the anchorage at ridiculous speeds (5kn+). This ‘Kiricoulis ‘ charter yacht was trying to drop anchor and before we knew it we were putting out fenders as he approached my portside beam in reverse with nobody at the helm! I shouted for someone to engage forward gear and at least try and stop before T-boning us. It was complete chaos and we managed to fend them off literally centimeters from a collision.

With the collision avoided the boat came to a standstill about 30ft away opposite us. I called out to enquire who the ‘Captain’ was at it was unclear, nobody seemed to have any idea of what they were doing. A dorky looking guy sheepishly came forward giving me a clear target for my rants to begin. I asked him what he was doing and the reply came back
Dork:‘waiting to see if we hit!’.
Me: No!… YOU are too close and I suggest you move immediately before we DO hit.
Dork: I will keep an eye, do not worry.
Me: What you are going to do - stand there all night? No! You are in my swinging circle and I am telling you we will hit so you must move before we do hit.

I will admit I lost my temper with the idiot and the above conversation is somewhat watered down but at least he acknowledged he was way to close. The remaining crew of about 5 men all went below staying out of it, they were clearly embarrassed by their ‘skipper’.

The next moment, the boat is full throttle again dragging his anchor across the bottom while lifting it up! It’s a good job the anchor didn’t snag as the resulting swing would have wiped out a number of boats! He finally dropped anchor behind me and despite stopping a few feet in front of a steel fishing trawler on a mooring buoy was happy! The trawler's mooring line passed inches from their stern and I am guessing their rudder took a beating that night.

Anyway, now ‘safe’, we sorted out the dinghy for a Rum Punch on ‘Happy island’ a small island / bar made out of Conch shells.

With it now being dark we had a quick look around the mainland and called it a night.
The next morning we lifted anchor and decided to leave for Bequia.

No comments: