Where is Doris?...

Wednesday 14 January 2009

ATLANTIC 6 - A Hero's Welcome!

Landfall Rodney Bay St. Lucia N14 04.43 W60 57.02
I won’t bore you with all the nitty gritty details of the final few days. Suffice it to say I was a complete basket case managing only about 4 hours sleep in total in that period. I think I actually got to the point where I was ‘trying too hard’ to sleep and simply couldn’t. Each night there were squalls to F7 and the seas were so steep and horrendous that I was ‘chained’ to the helm, in and out of consciousness.

I clipped into the cockpit to sleep on the floor close to the wheel and at one point after drifting off, woke suddenly to a crash of water as a huge wave broke right in the cockpit. One second all was quiet and the next, water shot straight up my waterproof trousers and I was sitting in about 10 inches of water!

It seemed that the closer to land I got, the worse the squalls were and the more frequent. The last actual day of sailing the squalls were pretty much back to back but by this time I was using them to travel as fast as I could by manually helming and going over 8 knots pretty consistently. They are so much less scary in daylight! I surfed waves all the final 5nm to round the island and enter the safety of the bay.

Kat had seen Doris come round the headland and called me to confirm it was in fact me, being about 4 hours ahead of schedule.

I dropped anchor in Rodneys Bay and for the first time in almost a month the boat wasn’t rocking from rail to rail!

Then I started to melt! – The heat was unbelievable! I had a wash and changed my clothes as I was in a pretty bad state! Kat’s friends bought her out to meet me in a RIB. It was so good to see her again and I gave her the biggest cuddle. She came bearing a ‘Goody Bag’ full of chilled chocolate, Champagne, Rum, fruit juice and all my favorite things.
She had arranged a marina berth for me in advance pointing out that it needed to be as easy and stress free as possible. I must have been pretty ‘out of it’ by this time because after getting the anchor up, I simply told her to take us in and let her berth Doris! All you guys in Brighton – I let Kat berth Doris! I didn’t even care that the depth read 0.0m about 50 yards from the berth… I was quite tired!

Matthias was also there to meet us and took our lines.


From that point on, I shook hands with person after person as the guy who just ‘solo’ed the Atlantic’. It seems Kat knows a lot of people here and had arranged a little ‘Welcome Party’ in the local bar for both Matti & myself. I satisfied my craving for Beef Burger & Chips and was then treated to a huge ‘slab’ of chocolate cake.

She is the best and it would have been all so different without having her there to meet me. I would have probably simply gone to bed in the anchorage. When I first set out, the whole goal was to simply sail across the Atlantic, but somewhere on the way across everything changed. I couldn’t care about the Atlantic and was simply looking forward to seeing her again – she really did make my arrival special. I know other ‘Single Handers’ (some of whom tune in here) who have made land fall and then felt so ‘alone’ on arrival because there is nobody to share the experience with. Not so in my case, I now have about 20 new friends!

I have a few jobs to get done now I am here including getting the mainsail repaired, her bottom cleaned (Doris not Kat) and anti fouled, and maybe some alterations to the cockpit design.

Kat has rejoined Doris, at least for a while and we intend to explore and dive the waters around various islands in the Caribbean. I’ll post more about the actual island etc very soon.

I would also like to say a huge ‘ThankYou’ to everyone who sent me SMS messages, jokes and words of encouragement which made the trip a lot less lonely and really did encourage me to keep pressing on as things got a little bleak toward the end of the journey. It’s really the best feeling in the world knowing that there’s friends ‘rooting’ for you and for that I am extremely grateful.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a hero dude, or an idiot... the jury is still out. ;-)

Either way, family Crute can sleep again now you are safe (from the ocean, but maybe not from Kat perhaps!!!!).

Get in touch soon dude. We miss ya.

Anonymous said...

hey crute, you stalk as much as i do and you know it!!!

:b

Bigoceans.com said...

Congrats mate, well done! So happy you had a welcoming party - I'm one of those unfortunate sods that rocked up after rocking from rail to rail for thirty days, only to sit on the street in Barbados and wonder what the heck I was doing ;)

Enjoy St Lucia, how beautiful is the bay!? Castries is nuts. Worth a visit though. The anchorage there in the lagoon is nice too. Make sure you visit Dominica! -nick

Anonymous said...

Amazing achievement dude .. unbelievable! Well done!

Keep up with the blog ....

Simon (Boo). said...

Hey Nick - I did get your SMS mid route, many thanks for that. I remember when you made landfall you sounded really down / 'spun out' in your video clip.

So yeah .. I was lucky to have a welcoming party. Will now explore and make the most of where I am and I need to decide on 'whats next'. I'll keep you posted!

Simon (Boo). said...

Pravster! - Cheers dude.
Hows life in your world, I' ve lost track of the time thats passed since we last chatted. Whats all your latest?

Chris Myles said...

Congrats..

As someone who's been out for five years, I know the feeling all to well, you deserve the hero's welcome.. single handed wow!!

I notice you map and blog. I've designed some FREE utilities that can automate the entire process, speed up your site and generally make life easier ..even via email from the middle of no where!!

Check out your map (your blogs, photo albums and track) or your album (your Atlantic album with route and destination) which can be used instead the picasa slideshow. I sent you an email with more examples and features. I'd love some feedback if you get a chance or check out BlurbBits.

Thanks

Chris
SV Billabong
Our Trip

Unknown said...

Hey mate! What an achievement - you must be so chuffed to bits!!!

Now you can relax for a while in the sun and reflect on your epic voyage :-) Just thinking yesterday mate that the London Excel boat show is now on, which we have been to the last two years. Look at you now - from going along to the boat show to buying a yacht and now crossing the Atlantic. What next?! Awesome dude. Plus Boo you look like a real sea dog with that beard!

Take care and have some fun before you set off again!

Simon (Boo). said...

Hi Chris - Thanks for the info, I will take a look at the links etc shortly. Looks like you have been busy. Cheers!

Simon (Boo). said...

Stu! - Hi mate,hows life with you?
You are so right, I remember that first time we went along to the boat show, we didn't know one boat from another - let alone how to sail one!

And if I remember rightly, you were supposed to be buying a little boat this year?!?! How is the sailing going, did you do the sailing lessons in the end?

Drop me an email when you get time and let me know all the latest and greatest with you & Rach.

Anonymous said...

good good.. you saild alone in the end.. In record breaking time??
i saild fram las palmas to trinidad whithout mony or visa card, then up to tobago, now i am i grenada. and i have just fixt my card preoblems.. thats nice

whats your plans now, up , down eats west ??

hope to se doris some where...

Luna
alfreddaniel14@hotmailcom

Anonymous said...

omg you look like a bloody sea pikey!

i said it via text and i'll say it again, nice one brother!! proud of ya!

Simon (Boo). said...

Oi Oi Tom!... Cheers dude!
Dont worry the hair and beard has all been terminated now - Im 'normal' looking again!

Simon (Boo). said...

Luna! - Good to hear from you dude!
I heard you went overboard! That must have been scary!

We are in St.Lucia now and heading South through the Grenadines, we can meet up if you go north to the Grenadines?

We should be in the Grenadines next week, I just have to build an outboard bracket, then its back out to anchor and do some cruising!

Boo & DORIS

Anonymous said...

Nice one dude... u must feel incredible, Well done!

so when you gonna brush the dust off those surf boards and catch some Caribbean surf?

gr0m.

Simon (Boo). said...

Gr0m - Great to hear from you!
I know! The boards are still yet to be used as I havent been in the right place for any waves!!! The water is 30 deg C, but Im usually on the leeward side of the islands so very little swell. Must try harder! So when you coming over?