Where is Doris?...

Wednesday 22 October 2008

Madeira

Wednesday 22nd October
After a windy night I woke up to properly check in to the marina before taking a shower. It may be possible to get my engine service properly by an authorised Yanmar dealer and thus maintain my warranty. I could do the job myself having all the spares onboard but its nice to keep the worldwide warranty valid both for peace of mind and to maintain the value of the boat.

Prav, another confession - Remember that wash kit you had at my flat, well I started using your shower gel and due to me being in a rush to catch a buslike an idiot I left it behind in the showers - gutted!

Anyways, we (Daniel, Maetias and I) caught the bus to Funchal where we really didn't do much except look around and drink a few beers. To be honest it's like any other city with a grotty harbour and millions of tourists either on holiday or fresh of the cruise liners. Sorry Mr Crute, I couldn't be bothered to pursue the cable car or 'sleigh ride' down.

The bus ride back to the marina was entertaining enough with the driver 'almost' out of control and revving the engine to within an inch of itslife! With the ocean to my right about 300ft straight down, one mistake andit would be all over - and they say 'single handing' is dangerous!

I did however, buy a new diving weight belt with two 1kg plates. Hopefully when I get out of the marina when the winds die down I can do some more diving and see if it makes things easier rather than fighting the buoyancyof my wetsuit - ok and my fat! There is an anchorage literally a stonesthrow from the marina which, according to the pilot book, is supposed to be awesome for snorkelling and swimming.

Back at the marina we went for a bite to eat and met a few other cruisers and all sat talking boats until rain stopped play.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Feel a bit foolish commenting when I just posted the entry for you!!

Dissapointed you didn't get more out of Madeira dude, funchal is a city with all the trappings but you don't have to go too far out of the centre to find the real character of the island. Shame you didn't do the sleigh ride, would have made going single handed and the bus driver seem really safe!

Good luck with the next leg.